Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Does Homesense Make Sense?

I was so excited when I first found out that TJX Companies would be opening a new line of home stores in the US called Homesense. I was even more excited when I found out that they would be opening their first location in Framingham, MA; less than an our away from me!

Unfortunately, due to Drew's and my hectic schedule, we didn't make out way out to Framingham until this past weekend. Prior, I had spoken with several friends and family members that had been and didn't seem to like it that much. I was told that it was full of junk, that it felt like a yard-sale and that it was overpriced. Regardless, I was sure I would love it. I love home stuff, I love all of TJX's other brands and I love hunting for good deals on expensive merchandise. How could I not?

As I walked in, I was immediately giddy because I saw a giant wooden moose. Anyone that knows my father knows he's obsessed with moose and his love of them has kind of rubbed off on me. However, I can't image anyone spending $1,999.99 on a giant wooden moose.


I did see a lot of good quality products there; definitely not junk. There were Boos Butcher blocks, All-Clad pots and pans, and a huge selection of well made furniture and lighting. However, I don't see it as a place I'd want to go to as often as Marshall's or Home Goods, for example. I would probably go there if I was looking for something specific such as a new couch. I saw a few couches that could easily sell for $5,000+ in Pottery Barn but were only $1,300.


It also seems like a great place to shop if you own a business. There were giant stock-pots, an industrial sized mixer and a huge madeleine tray.



Overall I loved the store but I'm not sure how well it will do. I didn't buy anything while there and can't see myself going there to make smaller purchases. However, I will definitely make it a destination for furniture shopping, when needed. I feel a bit conflicted saying this because I LOVE TJX Companies and it's in my blood. My great grandmother's uncle, Morris Fedlberg and his brother Max started Zayre's Corp. which went on to launch T.J. Maxx in 1977. Also, my grandmother worked for the TJX home office until retirement and I remember going to her retirement party there when I was really young. One day, I'd love to work for them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment