Monday, November 6, 2017

Barcelona Day 6: The W

There was a lot we wanted to fit in on our last half day before switching hotels. Our plan was to get everything out of the way so we could just relax at the second hotel.

We woke up super early to have breakfast and head to Park Güell for the second time. We knew we had a long walk ahead of us and had to be there by 9 at the latest. We got there just as the sun was rising and wow does that park fill up quick! It was so busy that we had to wait almost 20 minutes just to get into the gingerbread house which honesty ended up being a waste of time in my opinion. The interior was just an empty house with blue walls. What am I missing? Not to disrespect anyone's artwork...just not my cup of tea.



After spending about an hour in the park and spending 3.50 on a Fanta Limón (which is delicious and my new favorite drink by the way), we decided to head back towards Las Ramblas. First order of business: check out the new Uniqlo and Zara Home. Zara Home is the coolest store I never knew existed. Unfortunately, I didn't have much room in my suitcases so I settled on buying some hand-towels for our kitchen.


After shopping, I wanted to grab a juice from Merkat de La Boqueria. I got the coconut raspberry while Drew refused out of fear he would get food poisoning. Story of my life with Mr. Stubborn. He doesn't know what he was missing out on...that juice was amazing!


Next, we headed to Granja M. Viader for churros and hot dark chocolate. I was definitely glad we got to experience it but....I've had better churros at Disney World. They just didn't melt in my mouth the way I expect churros to. The hot chocolate was very unique in that it was super thick, almost like a pudding. It wasn't bad but definitely nothing earth shatteringly good.


The last stop on my hit list was Chök. I had seen them all over social media and they had the best looking donuts I've seen in my life. Granted, we weren't about to eat donuts right after churros so we got them to go for later on that night. Drew got all excited when he saw vegan donuts and ordered one of those....although I'm not quite sure why, as he most definitely is not a vegan. Anywho, whatever floats his boat.



We got back to the hotel at around 1 and had planned on leaving by 2:30 for our next hotel. I decided to be practical for once in my life and agreed to take a cab to our next hotel, W Barcelona. It only ended up being around 17. I was so excited to finally get time to relax. Little did I know how amazing our room was going to be.

SPG Platinum members are supposed to be given the best available room upon check-in, up to a standard suite. Drew didn't think this location would upgrade us at all based off what he read on Trip Advisor, etc. However, they did us one better and placed us in a corner suite on the 12th floor. When we saw the room, we were awestruck. It had the most gorgeous views I've ever seen in my life. The living room had a view of Barcelona and Barceloneta Beach while our bedroom overlooked the Balearic Sea. All you could see was the sea out of that window. In addition, the rooms had automatic shades, automatic pull out tvs, a rainfall shower head, a spa tub in the bedroom and Bliss bath products throughout...my favorite! The pics don't even do the room justice.




For dinner that night, we decided to eat at Wave Restaurant inside of The W. We ordered the Spanish Tapas Selection for an appetizer which included Cabrales cheese and caramelized apple croquettes, octopus skewers, razor clams with Espinaler sauce and “Bravas” W style. For our meals, we both ordered the lemongrass infused salmon with coconut foam, curry and roasted pumpkin. Everything was amazing. I wanted to order dessert but had remembered about the donut I was saving for later that I didn't want to go stale. As we were finishing up our meal, fireworks had started over Barcelonetta Beach that we could see from the window.




Once we were done, we headed upstairs to Eclipse. I ordered a passion fruit mojito and Drew ordered a beer. Once we were finished drinking them, I was ready to head back down. Noisy, clubby bars aren't really my thing unless I'm with a bunch of friends. Instead, we retreated to the lounge and had another drink while rocking in our swinging chairs. I ordered the Candy Shop martini, which was surprisingly not sickeningly sweet. I wish I knew how to make it.


And then it was back to the most awesome room ever. Oh, how I wish we could live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment