Sunday, November 5, 2017

Barcelona Day 5: Drew's Birthday

September 22nd: Drew's Birthday. I'm a terrible girlfriend and didn't really plan anything special, mainly because I wanted him to pick what he wanted to do...which, let's be real...he's incapable of doing.

We wanted to take the cable cars we saw down by the beach up to Montjuïc. However, due to poor planning yet again, we accidentally took the Teleferic de Montjuïc and not the Transbordador Aeri del Port which seemed a lot more thrilling and had better views. I had waned to see some of the gardens at the top but apparently, it was the wrong cable car for that too. Instead, we settled on the Castell de Montjuïc which ended up having pretty amazing views.




By the time we were done exploring, we were pretty hungry. I was dying for a ham and cheese sandwich but Drew wanted to head straight to Diagonal Mar to do some shopping. I wasn't buying it because I didn't know if they had good food or not. I convinced him to stop at Glòries on the way because they have a cute cafeteria on the ground level. We decided to eat at Enrique Tomas which I personally thought was delicious...it was one of the best sandwich I've ever had. Come to find out, it was rated only a 2.5 online due to some people getting food poisoning and others thinking it was overpriced. I would still go back. I just probably wouldn't order one of the take out sandwiches that have been sitting there for hours...


After lunch, we headed to Diagonal Mar. I wasn't too impressed. Glòries is a much nicer mall. However, I did find a super cute faux leather jacket at the Zara in Diagonal Mar for 24.99 or roughly $30 at the then exchange rate. Afterwards, I saw the same jacket back home for $39.99. I should have known Zara was cheaper in Spain and bought more!

Once Drew got his shopping fix, we went back to the room to rest up a bit. I tried to get Drew to choose a place for dinner but yet again, he claimed he wasn't hungry. After browsing for a bit I saw that Picnic was only 2 stops away and had some food I thought he would like. Once he saw the pictures, he finally decided he had room for food. Thank god.

At the restaurant, we ordered the fried green tomatoes and spring rolls for our appetizer and fried fish and chips for our meals. The appetizers were delicious but the entree was a little too salty for my liking and overpriced. We each got 3 small pieces of fish and a small handful of fries for roughly $14. We were originally going to get dessert as well but Drew was a little turned off by the amount of food they gave us and decided we should check out the food truck festival at the Arc de Triomf to see if they had anything good. Well, apparently Spaniards and Catalonians don't like their desserts, because out of 50 food trucks, not a single one had anything sweet, whatsoever. Regardless, it was still fun to check out.


the cone was only half full with fries...
 
We were then onto plan C for dessert: to see if any of the gelato places were still open near our hotel. Nooope. We then thought to check and see if Madeleine Mon Amour was still still open. According to google they closed at 11:00 PM and it was already past that. However, we happened to walk by it anyways and ta-da, there were still a lot of people eating in the restaurant. Drew went in to ask if they were still open and low and behold  - - they said we could order dessert. This time, we decided to sit out on the street where they had tables and chairs. It was the perfect ending to the night...especially since Drew had said he wanted to come back before we left our first hotel, which we were leaving the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment