Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Stressed Spelled Backwards

Okay, so my posts have slowed down a bit this week. What can I say? I've been stressed. There's simply not enough time in a day! That being said, there's always time for dessert, especially on national dessert day. I have a huge sweet tooth so it may come as a surprise that I try not to order dessert when going out to eat, except while on vacation or while celebrating someone's birthday. There goes providing you guys with a list of my favorite restaurant desserts. Oh well, I have something better: a list of my favorite dessert recipes. Unfortunately, I don't have any good photographs of my own considering I'm so impatient and couldn't wait to eat each time I made these.


Bon Appetit's Coconut Cheesecake with Passion Fruit Glaze
This is one of my go-to recipes that everyone seems to love. The first time I made it, I spent almost $40 on ingredients...eek! It calls for 10 passion fruits and they're roughly $2 a piece. The next time, I experimented by using passion fruit juice instead. I didn't even end up pouring on the cheesecake and ended up going out the buy the passion fruits again. A few months later, I found out that some supermarkets sell Goya Passion Fruit pulp in the freezer section and it tastes exactly like the real thing; mainly because it is, only much cheaper. Also, I did make the compote the first time but found it unnecessary. I have since tried it with mango pulp instead of passion fruit pulp and it just wasn't the same. The sourness of the passion fruit perfectly balances the sweetness of the coconut.


Fine Dining's Chocolate Mousse Cake
I first made this recipe almost 10 years ago. I wasn't expecting much because the website seemed a little ehh but to this day, it's still one of my faves. I will say that it takes a lot of time an patience but the end result is worth it.


The Brown Eyed Baker's Red Velvet Cheesecake
A few years ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to make a red velvet cake/cheesecake that looked similar to the one The Cheesecake Factory serves. After scouring the internet for over an hour, I stumbled upon this recipe. Again, I wasn't expecting much since it didn't come from a well known site but it came out way better than expected. It is very very sweet and rich so it may not be for everyone but I've been craving it for a while. I wish I could make it, take one slice for myself and give away the rest because I definitely gained more than a few pounds by having leftovers for a week....and that's even after serving it to company and giving most of it away.


Paula Dean's Molten Lava Cakes
I'm still extremely mad at Paula Dean over her racist comments. However, I love food and her recipes are, unfortunately, some of the best. This past Valentine's Day, Drew and I decided to celebrate at home. He cooked dinner and I made dessert. I was dying for chocolate lava cake and this recipe looked the best. For some reason, I had it in my head that it would be a hard thing to make but it was extremely easy and it was delicious! It definitely hit the spot.


Chef in Training's Eclair Cake
My mom made this cake for a barbecue this summer and everyone really enjoyed it, including myself. People couldn't stop raving. I probably had 2 or 3 servings that same day. The next week when Drew and I were having a cookout at our house and it was 90 degrees out, I decided to make it too. I love that it doesn't require an oven.

So what did I eat for dessert on this national dessert day? Being a weekday, I stuck to my usual Weight Watchers Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sundae Cup with Fat Free Cool Whip. I may have snuck in a Godiva chocolate truffle or two as well.

1 comment:

  1. Julie you're funny, when you write it shows you're personality. I love your ideas. Red velvet cake is very popular down south, add the cheesecake part, even better. Those WW sundae cups are good, I sneak in extras too. Can you make the cheesecake for Thanksgiving? Pam and Andy, he loves your posts too.

    ReplyDelete