Sunday, September 27, 2015

HelloFresh and Soon to Say Hello to Blue Apron

While I love the finer things in life, I’ll admit I can be on the cheap side (hey, I am Jewish afterall!). That’s why I was initially a bit hesitant to try any subscription meal plans. The HelloFresh classic three meal box for two costs $69 per week while the same from Blue Apron costs $59. A bit costly, if you ask me…especially considering my boyfriend and I bought a house only a few months ago.

I don’t think I would have even considered subscribing to either of these if it weren’t for my new co-worker. Knowing that I love food just as much as he does, he brought in a stack of HelloFresh recipes for me to take a look at. I took pictures of the ones I thought looked the best and even tried making one or two of them after a not-so quick trip to the grocery store. The recipes were simple and I loved that they solved the nightly dilemma of what to have for dinner. I was happy to enjoy something other than a Lean Cuisine for once; although I’m not knocking them…their newer Marketplace line is actually pretty damn good. 

Anyways, I digress…I ended up signing up for emails from both Blue Apron and Hello Fresh hoping to exploit the system and just use them for their recipes. Anytime I saw a recipe that piqued my curiosity, I hauled ass to the grocery store. The only problem with this is that after a long day at work, the last thing I want to do is go grocery shopping. Plus, it’s probably even more expensive. I’ve made the North African Beef Tagine with Zucchini & Almond-Herb Couscous twice now and between the ground beef, the Ras El Hanout, sliced almonds, medjool dates and fresh produce it’s easily a $25+ shopping trip. Not to mention, I ended up using dried mint and parsley that I already had in the house instead of fresh herbs.


Although my boyfriend, Drew, really liked the dish and was even the one that requested it a second time, he mentioned numerous times that I shouldn’t make such “complicated” meals on weeknights. After that, I decided to take a break and give him a turn in the kitchen. He loves cooking and thinks he’s a chef but makes chicken and Brussels sprouts ALMOST every….single….weeknight! In all fairness, he is actually pretty amazing in the kitchen.

However, A few days after going back to eating Lean Cuisines and Drew’s cooking, I noticed that Blue Apron was on Groupon. For $39, they were offering new clients their first classic box for $39 (I later noticed that HelloFresh was offering the same deal). There was also a 20% off coupon on Groupon at the time so I purchased the Groupon for only $31.20. I figured that if I went to the grocery store, I would probably spend more than that on three nights of meals anyways. I haven’t used the Groupon yet because we’ve been in the middle of painting our kitchen but it’s finally finished so I’ll definitely be using it in the coming weeks. 

Last week, I got an email from HelloFresh saying that they were offering 60% off my first box if I signed up within the next two days. Score! This ended up being even cheaper than the Blue Apron Deal…$27.60. This just so happened to be perfect timing because I’m going away this weekend and haven’t even packed a single item yet. Who has time to work full-time, go grocery shopping, cook, clean and pack!? I’m not superwoman!

I got my first HelloFresh box today. I was really impressed with the way they packaged everything. Inside of the box, there was a cooler bag with 6 ice packs on the bottom. The meats lay on top of the icepacks followed by a separator and then three boxes containing the rest of the ingredients, one for each meal. The package was delivered around 1pm and the ice was still frozen when I got home at around 6 pm. It was in the high 80s today so I found this to be impressive. The ice packs can even be re-used. Drew even joked (actually….I’m not so sure he was joking), that we should save the box for next time we bring food to someone’s get-together. The only problem with the packaging was that the box was so damn heavy…I really need to start doing my Jillian Michael’s workout DVDs again, STAT! 


Tonight, we ended up making the Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Balsamic Potato Salad and Garlic Roasted Tomatoes. Although it was a simple dish, it was really flavorful. I never thought to put balsamic vinegar on potatoes before and I was secretly married to balsamic vinegar in another lifetime. 



I was also amazed at how much quicker the preparation was without having to measure everything out. It was also probably one of the first nights my boyfriend and I didn’t get into an argument over measuring food. Whenever he cooks, I ask him to measure out ingredients because I try to follow Weight Watchers and I’m a bit OCD…I hate estimating. This annoys him because it slows him down and it makes him feel less chef-like. Oh well, he’s supposed to do whatever it takes to make me happy, right? I absolutely love how HelloFresh lists the calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber and sodium for each recipe. It really takes the guesswork out of everything.

It was also one of the first nights we decided to eat on our screened in porch instead of in front of the tv. Less time cooking = more time to relax. Ok, so maybe we did just finish sanding and staining the porch. Minor details.

All in all, I can’t wait to try the other two meals we had delivered this week and also to try Blue Apron in a few weeks. I have a feeling I’m going to become addicted to both of these services. I’ll keep you all updated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment